Yesterday I got some decent time to suss out the way forward. The current Camen Design code is so old it doesn't even use DOMTemplate! It glues together lots of small strings via some search and replace tags (my first templating system, as seen here http://camendesign.com/code/asp-templating). I reconstructed an empty article page from the template pieces so that DOMTemplate can take over. Some of the template logic in v3 is pretty gnarly, so it's going to take a while to change it over to node manipulation; particularly one example where DOMTemplate falls over, it can't append content following an existing element, it can only replace the contents of an element wholesale.
Today, I took the PIII 800 MHz laptop, with the EPOC32 dev environment on it, out and did a little bit of programming for Paperclip, my text editor for Psion devices.